What documents will I need to review before moving in?Residents will need to complete the lease guarantor form and read the resident handbook before moving in.
Applying for an Apartment
- Each resident must complete an application. There is a $35.00 application fee online through PayLease
- A security deposit of $400 holds/secures the apartment for you while we process your paperwork. This must be either check, money order, or paid online through PayLease. We do not accept cash. The link to pay online can be found under the “Applicants” or “Pay My Rent” tab on our website or in the confirmation email you receive after applying online. We MUST receive full security deposit before we take your apartment off the market. It can be dropped off in person or mailed to us if it is paid as check or money order. All paperwork is due within 5 days of your application. The security deposit is kept for the duration of the lease in order to cover any damages that may be incurred while you reside at Turner NW. Security deposit is refunded 45 days after lease end date.
- Each resident over 21 must provide proof of income. This can be the two most recent pay stubs OR two most recent bank account statements OR a W2 or financial aid/scholarship information. These documents can be emailed, faxed, dropped off in person or mailed to us.
If resident is under 21 or does not have substantial credit, a parent, guardian, or other person (not a roommate) must complete a guarantor form. Download the PDF Guarantor Form. They will need to print it out, complete the form, and have it notarized. This form can be scanned and emailed to us, faxed, or mailed to us. The notary signature and seal are REQUIRED.
- If you have a guarantor, then the guarantor must submit proof of income. This can be the two most recent pay stubs OR two most recent bank account statements OR a W2 or financial aid/scholarship information. These documents can be emailed, faxed, dropped off in person or mailed to us.
- We will need copies of 2 photo IDs for each resident. This can be brought in person, emailed or mailed to us and can be in the form of driver’s licenses, student IDs, passports, etc. If you are not a US citizen, then we must have a copy of your visa.
- All residents on double occupancy rentals will be on one joint and binding lease. We will send the lease out to be signed via DocuSign. It will go to each roommate to review and sign. It must be signed within 72 hours of time it is sent or it will void.
Should you have any other questions, please feel free to call, email or come by the leasing office. Phone number is (540) 418-4110.
Thank you and we look forward to having you as a resident of Turner NW!
A guarantor is one, such as a person or corporation, that makes or gives a promise, assurance, or pledge typically relating to quality, durability, or performance. If under 21, you will need to submit a Lease Contract Guarantor form. It is required to be notarized. This form can be faxed, scanned and emailed, mailed or dropped off in person.
We provide a limited number of off-street parking spaces for residents. Unfortunately, due to space constraints, we are unable to guarantee each resident will get a space. Parking is available on a first-come first-served basis for an annual fee.
Optional Cable and Internet service can be purchased from Comcast upon move-in and activated right away. For more information, visit WiFi Ready Apartments FAQs – Xfinity Support.
Water, electricity, and gas (for hot water) are billed back to the residents using the Rate Utility Billing System (RUBS), as outlined in your lease:
Utility Services: TENANT shall pay the provider directly for utilities except water/ sewer, electricity and natural gas, which shall be charged to the LANDLORD and reimbursed to the LANDLORD by the TENANT (see part (b)). TENANT shall transfer utility into his/her name effective the day the Lease Term begins and keep them in his/her name until he vacates the Premises at the end of the Lease Term.
LANDLORD shall not be liable to TENANT for any interruption of heat, water, sewer, or other utility service resulting from causes beyond the control of LANDLORD, including but not limited to governmental control, shortages, inferior quality, mechanical failure, or any other cause. Trash collection is included in the terms of this Lease Agreement.
Rate Utility Billing System (RUBS): Pursuant to Virginia Code § 55.1-1212, as amended, LANDLORD hereby reserves the right to implement a rate utility billing system relative to the allocation of utility services, including but not limited to the use of water/sewer, electricity and natural gas, and/or by the use of submetering equipment relative to the allocation of such utility services. LANDLORD further reserves the right to charge and to collect from the TENANT(S) additional service charges, including monthly billing fees, account set-up fees, or account move-out fees, to cover the actual costs of administrative expenses and billings charged to the LANDLORD by a third-party provider of such services and to charge a late fee not to exceed $5.00 if such utility charges are not paid by 5:00 pm on or before the 15th day following the date of mailing or delivery of the invoice.
Water, gas, and electricity will already be on when a resident moves in. Residents will only need to set up optional cable/internet themselves. We encourage you to set up cable/internet services prior to moving in in order to avoid delays.
The cable/internet provider is Comcast. You will need to set up service with them directly. Comcast’s phone number is 1 (888) 266-2278. Comcast’s website is www.xfinity.com. Please note that apartments are listed on Comcast’s website using Turner NW’s address and the resident’s apartment number. For example: 208 Turner St, APT 101, Blacksburg VA 24060.
Keys can be picked up during normal office hours only. Office hours are Monday-Friday 9AM to 5PM. We are unable to keep the office open late. Prior to issuing keys, rent must be paid in full and we must have proof of Renter’s Insurance per the terms of the lease.
Keys will be issued to the first resident/roommate who checks in with the office with a valid ID. We will give all the keys and the entire move in packet to that resident. If your roommate has already moved in/picked up the keys, you can go straight to your apartment to meet them and move in. We will not issue keys to someone who is not on the lease, including parents. A guarantor is not a leaseholder.
**Each resident is responsible for reviewing the Policies and Procedures Manual in the Move In Packet**
For safety and security reasons, we cannot give an apartment address or apartment number or any personal information out over the phone. If you are paying someone else’s rent, please request that information from the resident.
You can pay online and using your tenant web access portal login information that was set up when applying for an apartment. Check or money orders are also accepted for rental payments. We are unable to accept cash.